Dry Ice Information
Things You Should Know About Dry Ice
- Dry ice is the name given to carbon dioxide when it is in a solid state.
- Carbon dioxide is found in the earth's atmosphere; It is a gas that humans exhale and plants use for photosynthesis.
- This chemical compound is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and about 1.5 times as dense as air. Carbon dioxide turns from gas to an opaque white solid while under pressure and at low temperatures, turning solid at −109°F (178.5°C).
- Dry ice is manufactured primarily in two forms, either as a block of dry ice which weighs over 50 lb (22.7 kg) or in small pieces that vary in size from the size of a grain of rice to a larger pellet.
- Dry ice does not melt, instead it sublimates, meaning the solid turns directly into a gas (bypassing the liquid state) as the temperature rises and the solid begins to dissipate. This unusual feature results in a smoking effect, and dry ice appears to be steaming as it sublimates. Thus, dry ice is often used to simulate fog or smoke.
What you should know about shipping with dry ice:
- As a general rule, Dry Ice will sublimate at a rate of five to ten pounds every 24 hours in a typical ice chest. This sublimation continues from the time of purchase; therefore, pick up Dry Ice as close to the time needed as possible. Bring an ice chest or some other insulated container to hold the Dry Ice and slow the sublimation rate.
- Dry Ice sublimates faster than regular ice melts but will extend the life of regular ice
- The surface of the dry ice solid is so cold that it should not be touched without gloves.
- Dry ice itself is not poisonous while the gas is stable and inert, it is heavier than air and can concentrate in low areas or enclosed spaces. When the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air exceeds 5%, the carbon dioxide becomes toxic.
- Any area in which dry ice is used must be well ventilated.
We do not sell dry ice. Please check with your local retailer.
No Products are available for display.
Items Selected for You
6x6x2 Kraft Die
Cut Mailer Boxes
5x15 Plastic Bag
Bag 1.5 Mil
16 Poly Tubing 6
Polytubing 4 mil
13x18 Slide Seal
Bag 2.75 Mil
VELCRO One Wrap
3/8 Heavy Duty
Sign For Wet
Sealed Air IB
Flex Premium 3/4
9x12 8 Mil Flat
22x14x11 Box 200
12 Ounce Gel
Bag 1.5 Mil
Cut 10 pound